7 Tips to Stay Healthy While Traveling
It’s easy to see travel and vacation as a time to fall off your exercise and healthy eating plan. After all, when traveling we’re off our normal schedule, in a different place (sometimes with completely different food choices) and oftentimes have more than one variable we can’t control. That’s why I’m sharing 7 tips I use when traveling to stay on track!
- Bring equipment! I travel with bands and sliders in my suitcase so I can workout wherever I am. They’re lightweight, take up little to no space, and I can get a full body workout with them. Here’s a link to the ones I use: mini bands and sliders.
- Hit up a local class/gym/yoga studio. I'm currently on a Greece adventure that started in Athens. Before I got there, I researched gyms local to the area. My friend Amanda and I had a session with a trainer at Athens Street Workout. It was a blast, I got a full body workout in, and we got some local recommendations from our trainer. Win-win situation.
- Take a morning run. You can literally do this ANYWHERE. Plus, it’s a great way to discover new things in the neighborhood you’re staying in. I went for a nice run in Milos one morning and discovered the restaurant where we dined for dinner that night.
- Maintain your supplement routine. I always keep probiotics, digestive enzymes and fish oil with me when I travel. I tend to indulge a little more than usual when traveling, and sometimes the food doesn’t agree with my stomach. Keeping these on hand is definitely helpful.
- Fly with healthy snacks. For this trip I kept mini single serving bags of raw nuts and the Kind bars with 5g of sugar or less in my purse. They came in handy on the SeaJet moving from island to island so I didn’t have to choose between a slice of pizza and a cookie.
- Indulge, but don’t abandon your healthy eating habits. I like to think of 3-5 meals/items I would like to try when on my vacation and stick to those. Then I keep the rest of my meals somewhat similar to what I eat at home. This way I don’t feel like I missed out, but I also don’t feel like I completely fell off the bandwagon.
- Sleep! You’re on vacation! Getting plenty of rest will ensure you aren’t craving sweets and refined/processed foods to replace your lost energy.