4 Ways to Improve your Hair Health (Even When You're a Workout Bunny)
My hair is one of my favorite assets. I've spent a lot of time and money keeping it healthy and long, even when I went from black to blonde. So you bet your ass I've figured out some tips to keep it as healthy as possible even though I'm constantly sweating and tossing it up into a ponytail.
1. Use Invisibobble spiral ponytail holders instead of elastics. They don’t rip your hair out or leave a crease.
2. Wash every 2-3 days instead of every day. I’m not a fan of dry shampoo - it usually makes my hair feel more greasy and gives the root a strange texture. I know it becomes more difficult when you’re constantly in a state of sweat, but if you take a few little steps, you can save a blow out post sweat. Everyone’s hair is different, but here’s what I do:
- Throw my hair up in a high, but loose ponytail with my spiral ponytail holder (this one doesn’t cause a crease like most elastics).
- I keep the pony loose so I don’t loose too much volume on top.
- Once I’m done working out, I give my hair 5-10 minutes to air dry a little. Then I take the ponytail down and immediately switch the part in my hair from left to right. This helps keep the volume on top.
- I use a spray bottle (or the sink if I’m still at the gym) and get the front slightly damp.
- Then I use a round brush to dry the hair straight up to create volume (essentially I’m drying the sweat, but whatever).
- Voila! It usually looks a little messier than before, but if I gave myself a decent blowout the night before, it’s fine.
- If you get to the point where you're super greasy on the third day but want to wait for a wash, throw on a hat and put your hair in a side braid. Instantly cute:)
3. Use Olaplaex Hair Perfector. I use it at least once/week. The bottle says to leave it on for 10 minutes, but sometimes I leave it on overnight to get some major results (my colorist said it’s fine). Put the Hair Perfector on damp hair, leave for at least 10 minutes and then rinse it out, shampoo and condition. It leaves your hair feeling so silky smooth.
4. After washing, leave your hair to airdry 80% of the way. I like to shower in the evening since I wake up so early. So I’ll shower and then cook dinner or do hang around the house and let my hair airdry most of the way. Then when I get ready to blow-dry it takes about 10 minutes rather than 20 and it is so much healthier because my hair is under the heat for a shorter period of time!